3D printed electronic stethoscope progress report 2

Digital stethoscope for medical use

Posted by Andrew Pun on August 7, 2020

Check out the previous progress post.

The following project documentation was written on July 31st, and posted on August 7th.

I’ve made lots of radical changes to the stethoscope since last time.

Stethoscope with more rigid acetate diaphragm and larger diameter connector.

Firstly, I replaced the diaphragm with a more rigid piece of acetate, so now it more resembles a stethoscope diaphragm.

Head disassembled. It has a more rigid acetate sheet for its diaphragm.

I have some silicone hose pipes, however, they have an inner diameter of 10mm, which is way too big for the head. Glia's instructions call for 8mm ID.

Silicone hose piping. The inner diameter of the silicone tubes are 10mm and not 8mm as required.

So what I had to do was modify the original model of the head, so that its connecting piece is larger in diameter, so that it can actually fit on the hose pipe.

Modified connecting piece. Now it fits. Compared to original.

I also enlarged the diameter of the y-joint used on the original stethoscope. This isn’t actually going to be used for my microphone stethoscope, but I just did it in case I wanted to make the Glia stethoscope with 10mm ID silicone tubes.

Modified y-piece in TinkerCAD. The modified y-piece. Modified pieces side by side. Both now fit snuggly in the tubing.

For the mic, I took a broken headset which had an electret condenser microphone inside it. The wires were unshielded, but the quality is still alright.

Broken headset. One of the speakers. Held in by 3 screws. A mess of wires. Good look at internals of headset.

Unfortunately the PCB broke on the electret mic (ripped off with the solder), so that was the end of that. I’ll think of a solution later.

Ground and output wires of the (broken) electret condenser mic.

Check out the next progress post.